Sunday, May 18, 2008

Installed the power steering hoses and bled the system this afternoon (in 95° heat again). Seems to be good, with no leaks but the one thing I noticed is that with the longer gearbox, turning the wheels all the way to the right causes the center link to touch the end of the gearbox housing. If the pitman arm were just a shade longer, this might not happen. I don't know yet if the contact will impinge turning radius, because the car is blocked in and I can't take it out for a test drive. Even if it impinges it slightly, as long as it won't lead to damage to the center link, I don't think I'll mind. The new box appears to take two full turns of the steering wheel to go from lock to lock, so one turn in each direction from straight ahead. it *was* about five turns from lock to lock before.

1 comment: