Saturday, May 31, 2008

I've found the problem with the center link hitting the gearbox is causing too much restriction on right turns. I tried adjusting the tie rod ends to split the difference, but narrowed the turning radius too much both ways. So, I did some research and found that the '59 and '60 Cadillacs had the longer steering gear of a more modern car, so perhaps the pitman arm from one of those would take care of the trouble. From looking at a '59 at Cooper's, that appears to be true. I will most likely need a '59/60 idler arm as well, so the center link is level. So today I got what was supposed to be a '59 idler arm and it is "S" shaped instead of flat, as the '59 at Cooper's was. I took it home anyway and found the one in my '58 is pretty much flat too (but my pitman is not), so this kind of reinforces my idea that this car had a steering gear replacement with a longer box before. Anyway, the idler I got has to go back. Cooper has some new ones coming next week, along with a '59 pitman arm. These should be FLAT, as all the pictures I've seem of the pitman for '59/60 show them that way. My idler seems to be in good shape anyway, and is definitely not original. A locknut was missing from the top bolt holding the bracket to the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment