Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Fruit of My Labor

You know how you start a project and it turns out to be a huge hassle and lots of things go wrong, you run way over budget and you really get to wondering why the hell you ever started this mess?

Well I found out the answer to that question today.

Today was the day to take a test drive on the streets of Los Angeles. Sink or swim, the new brakes had to perform. I made sure I had my cell phone and my wallet with AAA card handy and I didn't stray more than a few blocks. The results? Just amazing. Driving along and applying the pedal gently, the car slows immediately without any hesitation or harshness, and pressing harder produces exactly the amount of additional braking you expect. They are smooth, sensitive without being overly touchy, and straight as an arrow. The pedal is firm. They feel very confident and capable. I am extremely impressed and happy.

I still have a few details to attend to. There are a couple of clips to attach lines to the frame I need to add, some wire bundles I need to re-secure, the wire for the brake lamp to connect. And I will need to finish off the heater system. I may want to lower the pedal height slightly. I think it would feel a tad more comfortable for my leg if it were 1/4" to 1/2" lower.

So, why did I start this mess? Because I thought and hoped that I would get to this outcome. Would I do this again? Yes! But I would do it right from the get-go instead of trying to salvage the original pedal setup. I know better now. I already have a Scarebird kit for the Pontiac and am planning to order one for the '49er. I have the tools and I have gained a lot of knowledge. There was a lot of pain involved too, but I'd say nearly all of that was due to trying to save the old pedal. No need to even think about doing that again.

I am so relieved that this is largely done and working so wonderfully. It truly is a joy to drive a car with excellent brakes you can trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment