Monday, June 7, 2010

 More work on the driver's side disc. The dust cap didn't fit well because the outer spindle washer is slightly too big and needed to be ground down a little. I also got a Ford-style cap and tried using it. Might have worked if I had gotten a clue about the washer first. Ended up making a hybrid cap with the GM seat and Ford dome. Maybe the passenger side will go easier.

I mounted the loaded Raybestos caliper after thoroughly cleaning the rotor. The inner pads were just a teeny bit wide and stuck in the caliper bracket. Ground about 1/8th inch off each edge and it fits fine.

Knowing that it probably wouldn't work, I tried to mount the original wheel back on the car and, as expected, it hits the caliper. I tried the wheels off of the '76 Electra and they fit fine. I tried the chrome smoothies I bought for the '49er and they scrape the caliper worse than the original wheels do. So, now I just hope my wheel covers will fit the Electra rims. I did try Bolo's old rims just for grins, they do fit but are too deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment