Saturday, July 17, 2010

Bleeding Again

Got early this morning to get some work done before the heat really came up. (peak was 100.3°) Got the lines all connected up between the master and the prop valve, and rechecked the ones to the front wheels. Started to bleed the master and that went quick. First I did it with hoses looping from the outlets back to the reservoirs and used the brake pedal. Then I switched to reverse bleeding using my new tool. Easy. Then I reverse bled the two front lines in the front circuit with the new tool and found I had some leaks at the master and the prop. Tightened up, rebled and now I have a good pedal. More, I spun the front wheel and stepped on the brake and the wheel stopped. All good signs! I can't bleed the rear lines til I let the car off the jack stands and move her forward a bit. I'll try that tomorrow morning.

Assuming the rear lines bleed well, I still have a lot of clean up work to do. The mods to the heater need to be completed, though in this weather one hardly cares about a heater. There's the one broken off bolt I need to try to fix. There's the insulation and ducting I need to put back together inside, wire up the brake warning light and finally put all the inner fender well parts back together. But none of that happens til I am sure the brakes are solid.

I am a bit concerned about the lines that go from the master to the prop. I tried to coil the rear circuit line, with some success. I didn't really even try on the front circuit. Not enough room and not great results with the other one. I'll just keep my eye on it. (The concern is that the small amount of movement between the body and frame could loosen or fatigue the lines over time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment