Friday, July 9, 2010

The Booster

The Esky booster arrived yesterday and, of course, it has a problem. While it's the same diameter as the test one I've been using from the '76 Buick, the input rod is longer and the eyelet hole is also too big for the pedal pin. I did some scouring on the Web to find out what can be done and it turns out that some people cut and weld that rod to fit their application and it doesn't seem to pose any problem. The only thing they warn about is getting the pin too hot as there are a lot of plastic parts where the pin goes into the booster. I did see a post where someone asks about threading the rod.

Tonight on the way home I stopped at OSH and got a set of dies to make threads as well as some other bits to use in case the threading didn't work. But I had very little trouble cutting off the eyelet and cutting a nice set of threads in the shaft. The eyelet for my small booster will now thread on and work perfectly. Only problem being that the screw-on eyelet hole is too small for the pedal pin but there is plenty of material so I can enlarge it without too much trouble.

Seems like every little step I've taken in this project involves some major issue that requires yet another tweak. I hope someday not too far in the future I will actually have working brakes on this car.

No comments:

Post a Comment