Sunday, July 4, 2010

Destruction and Rebirth (It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing!)

It feels like I've been destroying my car. Cutting, chiseling, sawing... But now the firewall is ready for the new flat plate and I am working on drain and vent holes to replace those in the blister. I removed the original brake pedal and cut out the support bracket that held the hinge plate for it . Then I fitted the '73 Cad pedal in and tested it for position and operation, comparing it to Helen, my '76 Buick Electra for reference. It seemed very workable, almost natural. I checked a spare '70s GM 10" booster I had laying around to see if it had enough room to fit, and it does, so if the Esky booster is no bigger, we should be in good shape. Now I have tack welded the pedal bracket to the inner firewall panel and next step will be to mark the holes in the new flat plate to drill them for the booster.


Pictures above show the tack welded pedal bracket, the pedal extended about where it will be at rest, the view of the bracket from inside with a test booster attached, and the view showing that a 10" booster will indeed fit. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment